03/14/2022: I'm selected as a Barbour Scholar! Barbour Scholarship supports "students working on dissertations that are unusually creative, ambitious, and impactful" who are women from the Middle East and Asia. I'm very excited and grateful for my advisors' support. And as an Asian woman, this means a lot to me.
02/17/2022: I'm invited to give a talk in March at Expertise@Scale, a research group led by professor Chinmay Kulkarni at CMU.
02/10/2022: An exciting paper Hari Subraimonyam led and I contributed to was conditionally accepted to CHI 2022. Congratulations Hari and team!
02/02/2022: I am one of the finalists for the Meta PhD Research Fellowship (Privacy and Data Use).
01/11/2022: I am officially a Ph.D. candidate. It personally feels like I passed a huge milestone, considering the long road I took to be part of both SI and CSE.
01/07/2022: Our paper on understanding women's perspectives on online harm and platforms' remedies was recommended for acceptance (with minor revisions) to CSCW 2022.
11/23/2021: "Building Consentful Tech," written by Una Lee, Tawana Petty, Dann Toliver, Boaz Sender, and I (lead author: Una Lee) has been accepted to be included in the book Feminist Designer, edited by Ali Place (MIT Press 2023).
10/04/2021: I passed both Information and CSE prelim exams! Huge thanks to my committee (Florian Schaub, Nikola Banovic, Tawanna Dillahunt, and Mark Ackerman), family, friends, peers, and mentors.❤️
09/01/2021: Felt.coop built a fun and interactive onboarding system demo based on my work on principles of affirmative consent!
- 07/23/2021: I'm invited to give a DUB Shorts talk on 8/11 about my recent CHI 2021 paper on social systems grounded in affirmative consent.
- 06/04/2021: I wrapped up my first week at Facebook as a UX Researcher Intern.
- 05/14/2021: Weikun Lyu, an undergraduate student who I mentored, won the Blue Ribbon Certificate for his presentation on consentful messaging system during UROP’s Virtual Research Symposium! Huge congrats!😊🎉
- 04/05/2021: With my wonderful colleagues, Heeryung Choi, Cindy Lin, and Yixin Zou, I wrote a Michigan Daily op-ed regarding anti-Asian racism in the U.S. (and academia).
- 03/14/2021: Our CHI 2021 paper on reimagining social platforms using the concept of affirmative consent received Best Paper Honorable Mention!
- 01/22/2021: Gave a seminar talk at Seoul National University "Reimagining and building social platforms grounded in consent," hosted by Professor Hwajung Hong. :)
- 12/12/2020: Our paper on understanding and reimagining social platforms using a feminist theory of affirmative consent got accepted to CHI 2021! So excited! 😄
- 12/11/2020: I have been accepted to UMich's CSE department. I will be combining Information and Computer Science & Engineering for my PhD.
- 11/02/2020: I will be working as a research intern at Facebook next summer!
- 10/22/2020: Gave a guest lecture in CS 598 (CS course at UIUC) about building social platforms grounded on consent. It was super fun! :)
- 07/10/2020: Our WebSci 2020 paper on identifying Russian trolls on Twitter won the Best Paper Runner Up Award!
- 06/01/2020: Safely submitted a full paper to CSCW 2020 and started my internship with Dr. Jill Dimond at Sassafras Tech Collective!
- 05/01/2020: I wrote a blog post about our recent CHI 2020 paper which was also featured in The Startup.
- 04/18/2020: My Airbnb research internship is deferred due to COVID-19. :[ If there's any exciting intern opportunities, please send them my way!
- 04/10/2020: Our paper on detecting Russian trolls on Twitter got accepted to WebSci 2020. Shoutout to my wonderful collaborators! :-)
- 04/04/2020: I'll start my research internship at Airbnb in May.
- 02/28/2020: Our position paper "Building Social Platforms around Affirmative Consent" got accepted to CHI 2020 workshop Moving Forward Together: Effective Activism For Change.
- 01/24/2020: I passed the pre-candidacy milestone.
- 12/09/2019: Our paper on synthesized social signals (S3s) got conditionally accepted to CHI 2020. Huge thanks to my collaborators!
- 11/13/2019: Accepted a research position intership offer! Super excited for next summer. :-)
- 11/09/2019: SVed for the first time at CSCW 2019 :) My paper got rejected so I didn't present anything, but still had fun talking about research!
- 03/01/2019: My position paper got accepted to CHI 2019 workshop "Sensitive Research, Practice and Design in HCI".
- 11/07/2018: Motherboard covered our work on Wikipedia's Request for Comments.
- 11/07/2018: Attended and gave my first talk at CSCW! Slides are here.
- 11/02/2018: Check out our blog post on catching Russian Trolls using machine learning.
- 09/19/2018: I gave my first research talk at Wikimedia Research Showcase.
- 08/09/2018: Our paper on improving dispute resolution on Wikipedia's Requests for Comment got accepted to CSCW 2018.
- 04/02/2018: Decide to pursue my Ph.D. at University of Michigan, School of Information!
- 02/19/2018: Got accepted to University of Washington HCDE, University of Michigan SI, & University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign CS PhD programs.
This site is made by Jane Im, code here. Last updated 5/1/2022